08 October 2007

On this, the day on which we Canadians are supposed to give 'thanks'...

I awoke, for the umpteenth time, scratching my head, wondering if it will ever end.

At least six people were killed when an off-duty deputy sheriff went on a shooting rampage early Sunday in northern Wisconsin before he was shot dead by police, authorities said.

How fitting this weekend be marked by massacre; then again, how many weekends aren't? If Blackwater operatives can mow people down with impunity, what was to stop Tyler Peterson from doing the same? The blood of these seven unfortunate souls - I consider Officer Peterson as much a victim of this as he was the perpetrator - has returned to the earth to unite with the blood of those whose destruction we wrought as we colonized this land, those who we mourn on this, the day on which we are instructed to give "thanks".

I have a pen pal (do we still use this term?) who resides in Wisconsin, Crandon being her hometown. With her permission, I shall share her thoughts on the matter, as I can only go so far in my attempt to rationalize the seemingly irrational. Behold:

"...in a small town everyone knows everyone. All those kids had been to my house this summer. My brother summed it up well, senseless and disgusting. It's weird how you go through your past encounters and wonder if you could have done something or can do anything now to ease the pain. Perhaps that is arrogant though. To want to change past tragedy is human. To believe you can is futile. Empathy is the bridge i guess."

The following article, written by Thom Hartmann, may be three years old, but the content will forever ring true. I read it for the first time today, and thought I would share with those who have not had the opportunity to read:

Columbus Day Celebration? Think Again...

In lieu of verbalizing ad nauseam about the despair my ancestors wrought upon yours, I wish to (somehow) put a positive spin on this day of mourning, so allow me to give 'thanks' to Thom Hartmann for writing this piece, and to all of you beautiful, brilliant souls who are trying your best to survive and change this world for the better. We cannot undo the sins of the past, but, by bringing them to light, we can hope to ensure they are never repeated again.

Mahalo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home