21 November 2007

My thoughts on Depression

Foreword: I had read the following passage, but forgot what it had said until I reread it on 11/28. I feel obligated to insert the following into this entry, so as to indicate to you, the reader, that you can receive therapy that pays the context its proper due, albeit, I imagine, at a lofty price.

"Perhaps the closest to a theoretical framework for this particular trend in therapy [mediated learning experience] comes from French philosopher Foucault (1965; 1973; 1995). Michael White (1995a) in his Selected Papers cites Foucault as a theorist who challenged society's tendency to "examine" and thereby reduce individuals to "case studies", replete with numbers, quotients, labels, measures of deviance and disorders. Foucault (1995) argues that practitioners have objectified the person and made psychological syndromes seem inherent within the individual. Instead of looking at the external faults within cultural practices (that cause dysfunction), professionals look to the faults in the patient; they do not take into consideration the dysfunctional contexts."
- Lazowski, B. M. & Luther, M. G. (2007). "Brief Therapy as Mediated Learning Experience: A Primer". Transforming Lives: Authentic Living and Learning (M. G. Luther, P. J. Gamlin, S. Cook & G. Wagner; ed.), 191-216 (bold mine).

I write this with an intrinsic fear of trampling the toes of those who struggle with depression of all forms. My intent here is to make sense of my own depression, if one wishes to dub my feelings as such, and provide hope to the diagnosed who have been told by professionals there is something wrong with them, something only pills can correct. I would love to receive feedback from each and every one of you, be it a critique of my entry, or any experience(s) you wish to share.

I can't remember when exactly I began having these bouts of prolonged, intense melancholy. I know I was consumed by frequent tantrums as a lad, but can only trace the sadness back to around the fifth or sixth grade, and even then, it wasn't all that intense, for I could always escape into my world of make-believe once the recess bell rang, so I suppose the best place to begin is at puberty. No one thought anything of it, likely because I had a knack for concealing my feelings, but, on occasion, my moroseness made its way to the surface. I remember my mother trying to get me to think positively, though, try as I might, the negativity was just too pervasive. I thought I had turned the corner towards the end of eighth grade, as I found myself being accepted socially, just in time for high school. Ninth grade wasn't so bad, either; I was getting along well with many people, though my social awkwardness often interfered with interaction with others, particularly of the opposite sex (more on this later).

The roller coaster of emotions continued during the remaining three years of high school, each year becoming more intense. I think back to my dramatic arts classes, and the incredible highs I felt while on stage, followed by the intense lows afterward, once I was alone again. Thoughts of ending my own life were regularly foremost in my mind, not to mention the intense anger I would feel, anger I displaced onto unsuspecting family and friends. It wasn't until the end of high school - four years of my life of which I'm not particularly proud - that I adopted the notion that perhaps I was afflicted with depression, and that I needed help. Mind you, I did not seek any assistance - I had one session at age eighteen at my parents' behest, after they had discovered a letter written in my hand - though, sometimes, I wonder if I should have.

Then I think of the pills. I think of the diagnosis, of the professional sitting opposite me, behind some desk, pointing a finger at me, telling me there's something wrong with me. Once upon a time, I would have believed this person. I used to think of depression solely as a disease of the mind, that is, until I started examining its etiology. Yes, each of us has a brain whose physical makeup leaves us predisposed to depression, but is this the brain's fault? For us to experience depression, we have to experience the world; melancholy doesn't occur in a vacuum (forgive me for using a tired cliché). What if the world in which we live wasn't so cold, so cruel, so unforgiving? What if we weren't immersed in negativity? What if we were taught to think for ourselves, to use the gifts we were granted, rather than forced some mold unbecoming of who we are in the name of eking out a meager living?

I firmly believe there is nothing abnormal about my brain chemistry, for if there is, then the same holds for every other person on this planet. Forget being "normal", for it is but the product of someone's construal, and serves only to bring you down; be you. Yes, you are more sensitive to your surroundings; all the more for you to appreciate and flourish within them. You have a beautiful mind, one I would hate to see go to waste. If you feel you need help, think of the people who love you, and turn to them for support. Don't let this "depression" win; more importantly, don't let anyone, no matter how "professional" s/he may be in the eyes of society, tell you something is wrong with you.

Epilogue: As always, I doubt my ability to do my thoughts justice, but there they are, in the best terms in which I can describe them. On a final note, I don't wish to create the impression that I'm resigned to the Thomas Szasz school of thought (he is the author of "The Myth of Mental Illness", a claim with which I do not agree, for the debate is not the existence of an illness, but rather its etiology and appropriate treatment).

2 Comments:

At 24/11/07 11:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, I think.

When I think back on my life, I kind of get the sense that I've always been 'depressed'. As a child it was that desire to fit in and make friends and being shot down at every opportunity by the parental figures deeming my friends unworthy of my holy friendship. Being forced into whatever they wanted for me is what I think caused me to doubt myself in every situation I face.

And it has carried over into my teen and adult life. High school was particularly hard because of how overwhelming emotions became -- how I didn't seem to fit in with the rest of them; I felt more mature, and yet more naive in a sense. I guess you could say I was always more 'conscious', but quite sensitive in that I took everything to heart until I made the conscious decision to rebel.

As you know, my experience with the Shrinkypoo was all but insightful. I felt like I wasn't being listened to (mostly because I didn't even say anything), and Doc was quick to make a diagnosis and prescribe me a drug without informing me of side effects. At that point I was quite naive and easily convinced that this would be the cure-all to my illness.

After the 'incident' that took place, I went back to the Shrink, mother at my side getting me to fess up to what I had done.

He blamed me.

He said, verbatim, that this was my 'way of saying "Fuck You" to everyone'.

At that point I decided I would no longer see the Shrink and opted to see a Social Worker once every two weeks.

Anywho
As much as sometimes I feel like I have some chemical imbalance that needs correcting, I can't accept it. I don't truly believe anything is wrong with me.

I haven't been to a doctor in four years, despite continuing to sink into depressive episodes. The last of which had me confined to my couch for a month eating tylenol 3's after I had a tooth removed.

What I do believe is that I am afraid to take chances. I am afraid to try things. Afraid to make friendships.

Every friendship I've had I've managed to fuck up because either a) I'm depressed to the point where I'd rather isolate or b) the friendships I've kept were devastating to my psyche.

I'm still struggling with this.

At this point in time I can safely say that since my last depressive episode the only friends I have are people I communicate with online. I do still go out from time to time, and have a couple of 'friends', but no one that I've made a real connection with. I don't know if this is just my luck or that it stems from my fear or if it's because I think too much.


But I don't think that it's something biochemical. I think all of this is something I've managed to learn. As I get older and more mature I find my mood swings aren't as difficult to deal with. They simply exist. I've learned how to nurture them so that I don't end up tearing myself to smitherines (though I'm still quite capable of doing so).


Lately I've been considering talking to a professional just to get a second opinion, but I am too afraid to even speak the words. So I get by the best way I can.


I hope this made sense, because at this point I feel like I'm rambling.

 
At 26/11/07 13:24, Blogger G. said...

It makes sense to me. We are a society who lays blame on one another for our shortcomings, having convinced ourselves these events occur in isolation, in defense of admitting any sort of responsibility on our part. A common perception of a diagnosis is, "It's not my fault; I have this depression." It's one thing to acknowledge one's chronic depressive episodes, but it's another to examine its etiology; the spotlight, by and large, is directed at the individual's brain chemistry, or cognition, thus washing society's hands clean.

Interesting to note, there are published studies suggesting those with "depression" actually see the world in a more realistic manner and not through a deliberately negative lens as conventional wisdom leads us to believe.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home