14 January 2009

On Panacea

I'm feeling conflicted. I want to be a benevolent force, however diminutive my impact may be, on our society at large, yet I don't know if I've been doing anything, nor what I am supposed to do or how to do it. I've ventured along a particular path during which I have gained immense insight not only into the universe, but also myself, and now I'm asked to sell the merits of this path to others - at least this is how I interpret the matter. Can I really do that? I've always figured myself a shitty salesperson, I suppose because I feel what I have to offer is not meant to be sold.

At times, I claim to have all the answers, and each time, without fail, I realize I do not. Perhaps I harbour an insatiable need to satiate my craving for a feeling of superiority, thereby professing to know this and that. Truth be told, how many of us can truly know how our realm operates? Some have come very close, but can they ever get there? More importantly, is any one path more genuine than another? Can any one of us claim to possess all the answers? A while ago, I had a discussion with a young man about spirituality and we each acknowledged we were on different paths to the same reality.

This last line describes the essence of why life is so beautiful: we're each on our own paths that ultimately lead us through the same trials and tribulations on our way to the same goals and rewards, and each of us has a description for it. Isn't it wonderful to live in such a place in which we can share our experiences and bask in the experiences of others? Isn't it wonderful to be able to bring our ideas to unity?

Wait, do we actually do such a thing? Or are we so bent on being heard, we neglect to listen? We kill each other over our respective beliefs and idols, yet if we stopped to listen, we would see they belong to the same story, only the names of the players have changed. We engage in fierce competition to be heard over all others and exhaust whatever resources are at our disposal to do so, we forget that the voices of others are no less valid than ours, voices that fall on deaf ears.

Don't take it from me, though, for who am I to say I have the cure for whatever ails you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home